Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Lion King

I've just seen the Lion King in theaters again. I didn't want to go to the 3D show, but that's essentially all that was playing. First 3D movie I've ever been to.

And the 3D was fun, not necessary, but interesting. The best shot was at the end when Simba and Scar fight and Scar jumps though the flames. I got chills.

I love the Lion King, I have since I first saw it when I was in second grade. I love the music especially. Hans Zimmer has always been able to strike the right chord. And of course Elton John's contributions are not to be overlooked. It's an astounding soundtrack.

I love Scar. As many know, I'm a huge fan of baddies. Not all baddies, just the good ones. That is, the ones that are developed well and make you love to hate them and hate to love them. I love Scar because he's conniving. He can talk his way into and out of (almost) anything. Yes, he's awful, he cares about no one but himself, but he's great at it. Jeremy Irons was the perfect actor for his voice. It is so recognizable too. I watched a movie with him in it (The Mission) several years after the Lion King was released and I knew instantly that it was him. It was Scar.

I think about Disney animations and realize that not many of them generally star big name actors. The Lion King does. And I don't think they they became big name after the fact. Rowan Atkinson, James Earl Jones, Matthew Broderick: fantastic.

And that's my gush about one of my favorite movies of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment