Thursday, March 29, 2012

Romeos

I recently borrowed the film Romeos from the library. It was probably the best portrayal of a transman I've ever seen. They packed a lot of trans personalities into one character, but it was the truest I've seen.

Lukas' character struggles with passing and staying stealth. He has to confront his selfishness in transition and try to be a friend to others.

He is not always a very likable character, but he is very real. Some of his flaws are ones I share.

And besides dealing with being trans, he also struggles with being gay. And the inevitable question arises "Why be a guy? If you like guys, it'd be easier to be a girl." This is a question I dread, though I've never actually encountered it personally.

The film was in German with English subtitles, so it was at times hard to follow. But this should not be a deterrent.

The best part (and another indication of foreign origin) is that it doesn't have a sad ending like most other queer movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment